Oatey gives you the confidence of a top-selling plumbing brand, backed by years of extensive research and leadership in the plumbing industry. That's why Oatey has been the choice of plumbing professionals for nearly 100 years.
We Offer Top Oatey Solutions:
Complete the Perfect Solvent Cement Joint - Every Time
Oatey knows the challenges plumbers face when solvent welding. Their cements are specially created to meet your needs for plastic pipe installation.
- Determine the pipe material, pipe size and the overall conditions during the application.
- Always stir or shake before using. If gelled, do not use.
- Square pipe ends, chamfer and remove all dirt.
- Check dry fit of the pipe and fitting. Pipe should easily go 1/3 of the way into the fitting. If pipe bottoms, it should be snug.
- Use a suitable applicator at least half the size of the pipe diameter. For larger pipe systems, use a natural bristle brush or roller.
- Clean pipe and fitting with a listed primer (Do not use primer on ABS pipe and fittings. Use Clear Cleaner only).
- Apply liberal coat of cement to pipe to the depth of the socket. Leave no uncoated surface.
- Apply a thin coat of cement to the inside of the fitting. Avoid puddling of cement. Puddling can cause weakening and premature failure of pipe or fitting. Apply a second coat of cement to the pipe.
- Assemble parts quickly. Cement must be fluid. If cement surface has dried, recoat both parts.
- Push pipe fully into fitting using a 1/4 turn motion until pipe bottoms.
- Hold pipe and fitting together for 30 seconds to prevent pipe push-out. Hold together longer in lower temperatures. Wipe off excess.
- Allow 15 minutes for good handling strength and 2 hours cure time at above temperatures 60° F before pressure testing up to 180 psi. Longer cure times may be necessary at temperatures below 60° F or with pipe larger than 3”. Do not test with air.
NOTE: The set/cure time is dependent on several factors. The pipe size, socket fit, ambient temperature, relative humidity, solvent cement used and the system operating pressure should all be considered when determining set up cure times.
Oatey, "How to Complete the Perfect Solvent Cement Joint Every Time". 2020.