Preventing Cold & Flu
Each year, homeowners and contractors are negatively impacted by cold and flu season as viruses are spread quickly through commonly touched surfaces. To minimize potential exposure to cold and flu, turn to Home Depot Pro for helpful tips and the products you need to keep yourself and homeowners healthy and safe.
Each year, cold and flu season is responsible for nearly 44 million sick days in the US, resulting in almost $9.5 billion of financial burden on the business economy.1 The following key areas have the highest likelihood of harboring cold- and flu-causing germs:
- Common areas and gathering places
- Door handles
Follow these tips to keep your property clean and safe:
- Use microfiber cloths and sanitizing or disinfecting cleaning chemicals to sanitize commonly touched surfaces.
- Have facial tissue readily available to reduce the spread of germs.
As an apartment community, you have an opportunity to educate your residents on cold and flu prevention. The first step is to practice what you preach by implementing a cold and flu prevention plan at your property. The next step is communicating to your residents about what they can do to prevent the spread of germs and viruses this season.
- Get the flu shot. According to the CDC, a flu shot is the most important way to protect yourself and others during flu season.
- Wash your hands. Washing your hands regularly is one of the best ways to avoid cold and flu viruses, as well as prevent the spread of germs to others.
- Prioritize a healthy lifestyle. Easy steps like maintaining a healthy diet, exercising regularly, drinking plenty of fluids and getting a good night's sleep keep your immune system in tip-top shape and better able to fight off the germs you can't avoid.
- Stay at home when you're sick. Staying home will prevent the spread of viruses that cause flu epidemics.
1 Challenger, Gray & Christmas, Inc. (2017). H3N2 Spreading Rapidly Nationwide: Earlier, More Aggressive Flu Season Could Cost Employers $9.4 Billion. Retrieved from https://www.challengergray.com/press/press-releases/h3n2-spreading-rapidly-nationwide-earlier-more-aggressive-flu-season-could-cost